All REALTOR® members are required to complete 2.5 hours of Code of Ethics training between January 2017 to December 31, 2018. Failure to complete this required training will result in a suspension of membership until the training is complete. NOTE: This is a requirement from the National Association of REALTORS®.
How do I know if I need to take the training?
If you have not taken an Ethics course recently, then you probably need to take the training.
- Have you served on Professional Standards or Grievance since January 2017? The training for these committees meets your CoE requirement, and we have your record on file.
- Have you taken New Member Orientation since January 2017? The 2.5 hour CoE training in New Member Orientation meets your CoE requirement, and we have your record on file.
- Have you taken a recent Ethics CE with OBAR? If so, these meet your CoE requirement and we have your record on file.
- Have you taken an Ethics CE class or training outside OBAR? Qualifying online classes, outside CE and in-house classes may satisfy the requirement, however you must document the class with OBAR to receive credit. You must email this documentation to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Are you an appraiser or attorney member? You are not exempt. Be sure you have taken the training!
- Are you a REALTOR® Emeritus? Congrats! Those with REALTOR® Emeritus status are exempt.
Beginning in July 2018 and continuing through December 2018, OBAR will begin contacting each of our members who have not completed the training and include options for completion.
You can lookup your status here on realtor.org. Login to the site and select “View my Educational Records” to ensure you have a “COEC” or “COEN” record with a corresponding course code that begins with 2017 or 2018.
How can I get the training?
- FREE Online Training Course from NAR. This class takes 2.5 hours but does not count for CE credit in NC. You will need your NRDS number to access the course on the NAR site: Start the online course and/or access your course progress. You will not have to notify OBAR as your completion is recorded automatically.
- Online Training Course for CE Credit: “Cracking the Code of Ethics” is available from the CE Shop for $49 and qualifies for 4 hours of CE elective credit in NC. You will have to send notice of your completion to email@example.com to satisfy the CoE training requirement.
- Live CE Elective Classes which meet the Ethics requirement will be held at OBAR throughout 2018.
- Live CoE Training Classes (non-CE) will be offered in December. Dates will be determined in October.
- Classes or training outside OBAR – Qualifying online classes, outside CE and in-house classes may satisfy the requirement, however you must document the class with OBAR to receive credit. Email documentation to firstname.lastname@example.org.