The National Association of REALTORS® requires all REALTOR® members to complete 2.5 hours of Code of Ethics training between January 2017 to December 31, 2018. Failure to complete this required training will result in a suspension of membership until the training is complete.
How do I know if I need to take the training?
- Have you served on Professional Standards or Grievance since January 2017? The training for these committees meets your CoE requirement, and we have your record on file.
- Have you taken New Member Orientation with OBAR since January 2017? The 2.5 hour CoE training within New Member Orientation meets your CoE requirement, and we have your record on file.
- Have you taken an Ethics CE Course with OBAR in 2017 or 2018? The Ethics CE courses OBAR hosts meet your CoE requirement and we have your record on file.
- Have you taken an Ethics CE class or Ethics training outside OBAR? Qualifying online classes and external Ethics CE may satisfy the requirement, however you must present documentation of the class with OBAR to receive credit. Please email this documentation to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Are you an appraiser or attorney member? Unfortunately, you are not exempt. Be sure that you have taken the training!
- Are you a REALTOR® Emeritus? Congrats! Those with REALTOR® Emeritus status are exempt.
You can lookup your status here on ncrec.gov. Login to the site (in the top right corner) and select “View my Educational Records” to ensure you have a “COEC” or “COEN” record with a corresponding course code that begins with 2017 or 2018.
Beginning in August 2018 and continuing through December 2018, OBAR will begin contacting each of our members who have not completed the training and include options for completion.
How can I get the training?
- FREE Online NAR Training Course (No CE credit) – This class takes 2.5 hours but does not count for CE credit in NC. You will need your NRDS number to access the course on the NAR site. You will not have to notify OBAR as your completion is recorded automatically.
Start the online course by clicking here.
(PLEASE NOTE: The $29.95 CE Ethics Course on the NAR website does NOT carry CE credit in NC)
- Online Training Course (CE credit) – “Cracking the Code of Ethics” is available from the CE Shop for $49 AND qualifies for 4 hours of CE Elective credit in NC. Please send notice of your completion to email@example.com to satisfy the requirement.
- Live CE Elective Classes (CE credit) – Ethics Elective classes hosted by OBAR meet the NAR Ethics requirement AND carry CE Elective credit. OBAR will be hosting Ethics Elective courses in September, and November 2018 (courses and dates will be announced in July 2018)
If you take an Ethics Elective outside of OBAR, please email your certificate to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Live Ethics Training Classes (No CE credit)- The following Ethics training opportunities will be provided at no cost to OBAR & AAAR Members.
June 27, 2018 – YouTube LIVE Ethics Training with Leigh Brown at Coastal Studies Institute
December 5, 2018 – Ethics Training with Jimmy Anderson at RE/MAX Coastal Associates
December 12, 2018 – Ethics Training with Jimmy Anderson at OBAR