The National Association of REALTORS® requires all REALTOR® members to complete 2.5 hours of Code of Ethics (CoE) training between January 2019 to December 31, 2020. Failure to complete this required training will result in a suspension of membership until the training is complete.
How do I know if I need to take the training?
- Have you served on Professional Standards or Grievance between January 2019-December 2020? The training for these committees meets your CoE requirement, and we have your record on file.
- Have you taken New Member Orientation with OBAR between January 2019-December 2020? The 2.5 hour CoE training within New Member Orientation meets your CoE requirement, and we have your record on file.
- Have you taken an Ethics CE Course with OBAR in 2019 or 2020? The Ethics CE courses OBAR hosts meet your CoE requirement and we have your record on file.
- Have you taken an Ethics CE class or Ethics training outside OBAR in 2019 or 2020? Qualifying online classes and external Ethics CE may satisfy the requirement, however you must present documentation of the class with OBAR to receive credit. Please email this documentation to email@example.com. If we are your primary association, you will not receive credit otherwise.
- Are you an appraiser or attorney member? Unfortunately, you are not exempt. Be sure that you have taken the training.
- Are you a REALTOR® Emeritus? Congrats! Those with REALTOR® Emeritus status are exempt.
You can lookup your status here on nar.realtor. Login to the site and select “View my Educational Records” on the Change My Information page. Ensure you have a “COEC” or “COEN” record with a corresponding course code that begins with 2019 or 2020.
Beginning in August 2020 and continuing through December 2020, OBAR will contact each member who has not completed the training and include options for completion.
How can I get the training?
- FREE Online NAR Training Course (No CE credit) – This class takes 2.5 hours but does not count for CE credit in NC. You will need your NRDS number to access the course on the NAR site. You will not have to notify OBAR as your completion is recorded automatically. Start the online course by clicking here. (PLEASE NOTE: The $29.95 CE Ethics Course on the NAR website does NOT carry CE credit in NC)
- Online Training Course (CE credit) – “Cracking the Code of Ethics” is available from the CE Shop for $49 AND qualifies for 4 hours of CE Elective credit in NC. Please send notice of your completion to firstname.lastname@example.org to have your credit submitted to NAR.
- Live CE Elective Classes (CE credit) – Ethics Elective classes hosted by OBAR meet the NAR Ethics requirement AND carry CE Elective credit. OBAR provided Ethics Elective courses in February, June, September, and November 2018.
If you take an Ethics Elective course outside of OBAR, you will need to EMAIL your certificate to email@example.com
Want to learn more about this requirement?
Q&A: Ethics Training Requirements for New and Continuing Members (external link to NAR)