Help us fatten up our food banks!
We live in an area that is rich with historical national parks and various agencies. With no end in sight, the government shut down has hit close to home with local park employees and even the Coast Guard. You may not even realize that someone living next to you may not have food on the table.
OBAR is joining forces with the Lower Currituck Food Pantry, Beach Food Pantry, and Hatteras Island Food Pantry to help those in need. At the request of the 2019 Bowling Tournament Committee (Chair, Brook Sparks of Beach Realty, Vice Chair, Amber Dawson of Hatteras Realty), OBAR will be donating all raffle proceeds from the Bowling Tournament on February 22nd to all three food pantries. Starting next Tuesday, January 28th, every Tuesday until the Bowling Tourney will be known as “Fat Tuesdays”. We will be accepting non-perishable items and monetary donations (please make checks payable to the individual food pantries) at the following locations:
OBAR: 201 W. 8th Street, Nags Head, NC 27959 (Karen Pierce or Leah Holmes)
Beach Realty & Construction – KH: 4820 N Croatan Hwy, Kitty Hawk, NC 27949 (Brook Sparks)
Hatteras Realty – Avon: 41156 Hwy 12, Avon, NC 27915 (Amber Dawson)
Look for more information about the bowling tournament in next week’s Upcoming Events email. It’s a Mardi Gras theme and we are going to fatten up our local food pantries.
Please join us in welcoming Alexandra Keeling of Keller Williams – OBX!
We know that you will give her a nice welcome when you see her at OBAR events and around town. Don’t hesitate to invite her to our YPN Winter Social at the end of the month!
Are You Ready for Tax Season?
Don McGlynn, associate broker with Maury Real Estate in Bethesda, Md., followed the news closely in 2017 when Congress passed the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act that brought a 20 percent business income deduction. The provision offered him the promise of a big tax savings, as it allows independent contractors and owners of pass-through businesses (S corporations, limited liability companies, and partnerships) to deduct 20 percent from their net business income before they calculate their tax. But for his 2018 quarterly estimated payments, McGlynn opted to pay the same tax that he did in 2017, expecting that he’ll sort everything out in early 2019, when it comes time to file his actual 2018 tax return.
“I met with my tax guy last year; he ran a scenario on the new tax law and said I would save almost a full quarter of payment,” says McGlynn, a 20-year veteran agent. “Even so, I didn’t change my quarterlies. The IRS hadn’t yet come out with its rules, so we just opted to pay what we’ve been paying and work it out later.”
To read the full article click HERE.
- February 14 ~ BICUP w/Gallagher ~ Hilton Garden Inn ~ 1:30-5:30P
- February 15 ~ GENUP w/Gallagher ~ Hilton Garden Inn ~ 8:30A-12:30P
- February 15 ~ Offers Elective w/Gallagher ~ Hilton Garden Inn ~ 1:30-5:30P
- April 3 ~ CRS Class: Tax Strategies for the Real Estate Professional ~ Chris Bird ~ OBAR ~ 9A
- April 16 ~ Property Mgmt BICUP w/Saunders ~ Comfort Inn ~ 1:30-5:30P
- April 17 ~ Property Mgmt GENUP w/Saunders ~ Comfort Inn ~ 8:30A-12:30P
- April 17 ~ Technology Elective w/Saunders ~ Comfort Inn ~ 1:30-5:30P
- June 5 ~ GENUP w/Black ~ Comfort Inn ~ 8:30A-12:30P
- June 5 ~ Appraisal Elective w/Black ~ Comfort Inn ~ 1:30-5:30P
Current NCREC Continuing Education (CE) Period: July 1, 2018 – June 10, 2019
Current NAR Code of Ethics Training Period: January 1, 2019-December 31, 2020
->Online CE electives including the “Cracking the Code of Ethics” CoE Elective are available July 1, 2018-June 10, 2019 at obar.theceshop.com<-
- January 29 ~ REALTORFest Committee Meeting ~ OBAR ~ 1:00P
- January 30 ~ RPAC Fundraising Meeting ~ OBAR ~ 2:00P
- January 30 ~ Legislative Committee Meeting ~ OBAR ~ 3:00P
- January 31 ~ YPN Winter Social ~ Mako Mike’s ~ 4:30P-7:00P
- February 5 ~ Bowling Tournament Meeting ~ OBAR ~ 9.00A
- February 7 ~ BOD Meeting ~ OBAR ~9:00A
- February 8 ~ YPN Meeting ~ OBAR ~ 9:00A
- February 12 ~ PM Hot Topic-Bed Bugs ~ OBAR ~ 9:00A
- February 13 ~ BIC Breakfast ~ Mako Mike’s ~ 8:00A
- February 13 ~ Forum for HO insurance rate filing ~ KDH Town hall ~ 7:00P
- February 19 ~ MLS Committee Meeting ~ OBAR ~ 9:00A
- February 20 ~ Education Committee Meeting ~ OBAR ~ 9:00A
- February 21 ~ F&B Committee Meeting ~ 9:00A
- February 22 ~ Bowling Tournament ~ OBX Lanes ~ 6:30P
- February 27 ~ Legislative Committee Meeting ~ OBAR ~ 9:00A
For information on past events, check out the MILEPOST Page.