January 2019 MLS Statistics
The January 2019 MLS Statistics are in. While January sales were down, “under contract” listings were up. In fact, they were significantly up by 6% compared to January 2018.
Overall, most towns saw large increases in units sold. Colington saw a 167% increase compared to this time last year, but Ocracoke was the big winner last month with a 533% increase in units sold by comparison. For more information click HERE to view the January 2019 MLS Statistics.
PM Hot Topic Recap
Did you see “Blue” in action on Tuesday at our first PM Hot Topic event of the year? Tres Bedell, owner of RVA Thermal Heat, came to OBAR on Tuesday to give a presentation about bed bugs. Pink was supposed to be here but due to illness, “Blue” visited instead. Click HERE to see the video of “Blue” sniffing out bed bugs after Tres gave an informative presentation on what to do, what not to do, and what to look for.
Informative BIC Breakfast
Brokers-in-Charge gathered together at Mako’s Beach Grille on Wednesday morning. BIC breakfasts are held several times a year for our Brokers-in-Charge to keep them abreast of the latest in local & national real estate matters. In Wednesday’s meeting, Roberta Thuman, from the Town of Nags Head, gave a presentation on the status of beach nourishment in Nags Head.
Stephanie Walker, of Stephanie Walker & Associates, gave a presentation promoting NAR’s new C2EX campaign. This innovative campaign empowers you to enhance and showcase your high level of professionalism.
In addition, Russ Lay from the OBX Voice, discussed advertising opportunities on the OBX Voice Real Estate Page.
Finally, Willo Kelly, reviewed RPAC, the Forum on the Rate Filing held last night, the latest from the revamped YPN Committee and more.
Another Banner Week for New Members!
Please join us in welcoming the following new members to our association:
Sarah Roof – Beach Realty & Construction
Courtney Snearer – Midgett Realty-Rodanthe
Michael Milteer ~ Midgett Realty-Rodanthe
Ryan Raskin ~ Spinnaker Realty, LLC
Ed Gowland ~ Jim Perry & Company
Dawn Tillett ~ Carolina Designs Realty
Brianna James ~ Hatteras Realty
Arthur Monroe ~ BHHS Towne Realty
Welcome to OBAR!
Have you contacted the NCDOI.GOV yet ?
If not: EMAIL 2018Homeowners@ncdoi.govTODAY and request NC Department of Insurance Commissioner Mike Causey DENY the 2018 Homeowners Rate Filing. Include the following information:
* The proposed rate increases are excessive, unwarranted and unjustified.
* The increase in the Homeowners Insurance rate affects year-round resident policyholders, wind only policyholders, condo and renter policyholders.
* The unwarranted increased cost of homeowners’ insurance impacts the affordability of housing and the ability of a policyholder to make their mortgage payments. This impacts families that live in our year-round neighborhoods.
* Rate increases just went into effect October 1, 2018. There has not been enough time to thoroughly evaluate the adequacy of the newly effective rate increases.
* The filing does not include the number of policyholders or amounts charged over the manual rate under “consent to rate.”
* No filing should be considered until the NC Department of Insurance has clear knowledge of how many policyholders are paying premiums based on consent to rate and how much over and above the manual rate has been charged.
Please add DENY THE 2018 HO FILING in the subject line or personalize it as you see fit.
Only ONE Fat Tuesday Left!
We live in an area that is rich with historical national parks and various agencies. Though the government shut down has ended, it certainly hit close to home with local park employees and even the Coast Guard. You may not even realize that someone living next to you may not have food on the table.
OBAR is joining forces with the Lower Currituck Food Pantry, Beach Food Pantry, Manteo Food Pantry, and Hatteras Island Food Pantry to help those in need. At the request of the 2019 Bowling Tournament Committee (Chair, Brook Sparks of Beach Realty, Vice Chair, Amber Dawson of Hatteras Realty), OBAR will be donating all raffle proceeds from the Bowling Tournament on February 22nd to all local food pantries. Next Tuesday, is our LAST Fat Tuesday before the Bowling Tourney! We will be accepting non-perishable items and monetary donations (please make checks payable to the individual food pantries) at the following locations:
OBAR: 201 W. 8th Street, Nags Head, NC 27959 (Karen Pierce or Leah Holmes)
Beach Realty & Construction – KH: 4820 N Croatan Hwy, Kitty Hawk, NC 27949 (Brook Sparks)
Hatteras Realty – Avon: 41156 Hwy 12, Avon, NC 27915 (Amber Dawson)
Starbucks – Southern Shores: 5597-A North Croatan Highway, Kitty Hawk, NC 27949
Wells Fargo Home Mortgage: 5121 N. Croatan Highway, Kitty Hawk,NC,27948
TowneBank Mortgage: 4629 N. Croatan Hwy, Kitty Hawk, NC 27949
Keller Williams – OBX: 5575 North Croatan Hwy, Southern Shores Market Place, Southern Shores, NC, 27949
Cosmo’s Pizzaria: 5591 N. Croatan Highway Southern Shores, NC 27949
- February 15 ~ GENUP w/Gallagher ~ Hilton Garden Inn ~ 8:30A-12:30P
- February 15 ~ Offers Elective w/Gallagher ~ Hilton Garden Inn ~ 1:30-5:30P
- April 3 ~ CRS Class: Tax Strategies for the Real Estate Professional ~ Chris Bird ~ OBAR ~ 9A
- April 16 ~ Property Mgmt BICUP w/Saunders ~ Comfort Inn ~ 1:30-5:30P
- April 17 ~ Property Mgmt GENUP w/Saunders ~ Comfort Inn ~ 8:30A-12:30P
- April 17 ~ Technology Elective w/Saunders ~ Comfort Inn ~ 1:30-5:30P
- June 5 ~ GENUP w/Black ~ Comfort Inn ~ 8:30A-12:30P
- June 5 ~ Appraisal Elective w/Black ~ Comfort Inn ~ 1:30-5:30P
Current NCREC Continuing Education (CE) Period: July 1, 2018 – June 10, 2019
Current NAR Code of Ethics Training Period: January 1, 2019-December 31, 2020
->Online CE electives including the “Cracking the Code of Ethics” CoE Elective are available July 1, 2018-June 10, 2019 at obar.theceshop.com<-
- February 19 ~ MLS Committee Meeting ~ OBAR ~ 9:00A
- February 20 ~ Education Committee Meeting ~ OBAR ~ 9:00A
- February 21 ~ F&B Committee Meeting ~ 9:00A
- February 22 ~ Bowling Tournament ~ OBX Lanes ~ 6:30P
- February 27 ~ Legislative Committee Meeting ~ OBAR ~ 9:00A
For information on past events, check out the MILEPOST Page.