On March 18, 2020 the Commission voted to approve two emergency rules addressing education issues during the public health emergency. Rule G.0104 will provide relief to licensees with respect to the Commission’s education requirements. All schools and sponsors must cancel or suspend live classes through April 30th, 2020, effective March 26th, 2020.
What does this mean for OBAR members?
This does effect OBAR REALTORS® who have NOT yet taken the required mandatory (BICUP/GENUP) or elective classes. While we do not have any classes in April, we do have all three scheduled for May 7-8th, 2020. At this time those classes are still being held, unless we are otherwise instructed by the NCREC or CDC/NCDHHS. We encourage you to go ahead and register for them.
If we are advised to cancel these courses, do NOT panic! We are working on possibly taking the classes online, but have no guarantees at this time.
Regardless of whether the classes are cancelled in May, NCREC emergency rule G.0104 has made provisions for this potential outcome.
Rule G .0104 states the following:
- The Commission is automatically granting a 90-day extension to those that have not completed there continuing education. NO REQUEST FORM IS NEEDED*
- If you are in a Pre/Postlicensing class you must contact your course instructor. The instructor will decide whether to cancel, suspend, or continue with synchronous distance learning
- If you are in a Postlicensing course, the commission is automatically offering an extension through September 30th, 2020. NO REQUEST FORM IS NEEDED*
- If you are unable to finish a Pre/Postlicensing class, the school/instructor must allow you to make up any missed course hours by attending another offering of that course (content must be the SAME as what you missed
- If you are BIC eligible and unable to get the required hours, please email email@example.com to receive a 90-day extention
- If you are currently applying for a license and cannot complete everything within the 180-day opportunity, please email firstname.lastname@example.org to request a 90-day extension
If you have questions not covered by the above you may contact NCREC at email@example.com.
*OBAR was originally told that Brokers would have to notify the commission if they needed an extension. However, the extension is now automatic.
*OBAR was originally told that Postlicensees would have to notify the commission if they needed an extension. However, the extension is now automatic.